Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Creativity at work

My job is rather boring at times. I often find myself playing computer games or surfing the web for much of the day. I have often pondered whether I was depressed because of my job, or simply bored at my job because I was depressed. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine job most of the time. The people respect me, they give me space when I needed, try to make me talk when I need to, offer good health benefits, let me correct their grammar (I only do that when I'm typing up letters and such). But you get the idea.

When I feel good, I can usually find some kind of organizational or otherwise creative project to keep me busy. Would you believe it, before I relabeled dozens of files we had to constantly try to remember, "Now was that Bakery of New York or THE Bakery of New York?" There was practically a whole drawer of customers starting with the word 'the.' Not anymore! had anyone there been in a library before? Likewise, customers and leads without business names were filed by first name! One of my latest projects has been shifting the tabs on the hanging files to insure that there aren't three files in a row with the tap in the same location. Files simply disappear that way. :)

The project du jour (or deux jours) has been creating new directions to our office. A year ago my boss sold the building, and we are now in a different part of the building, and then the turnpike authority decided to entirely change the design of the off-ramp for our exit. The guy who was at the company before me (he was actually a salesman, but set up several organizational things as well) created a document to send with a drawing and some written directions. It always bothered me, though, because he oriented his drawings so that driving south was actually going *up* the page instead of down. Aren't all maps more or less designed so that north is up and south is down?

I love creating better versions of the things that this previous guy did. Yes, a little pride issue. :) In any event, I am quite proud of the drawing that I came up with. I show stop lights and can even fit the entire directions for coming to our office from two major roads on the same page (as opposed to one major road on two pages). It's a little thing, but it makes me happy. And I've decided to create similar documents with directions coming from the south and west! Fun!

My drawing program of choice? Microsoft Word. ;)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Microsoft Word! You are a skilled woman!

11:01 PM  
Blogger DenverSop said...

Hey! Just because your week is up doesn't mean you have to stop blogging! Where's the love?!

2:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Christianne!! How are you guys doing? I enjoyed reading the swimming date...we have had a couple of similar experiences, but as you say, a least a walk with your husband is always helpful!! Thinking of you guys,
Whitney (Hanes) Pencina

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the fact that she uses Microsoft Word for this incredibly creative activity makes her brother almost puke out of disgust. ...grrrr....Microsoft....

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home