Thursday, August 31, 2006

Make-over update

First I'd like to share a really beautiful coincidence. I received emails from two of my friends on opposite coasts at exactly the same time! 7:32pm. Who would have thought it possible. :)

Now for the update. Last night I met up with two friends who tirelessly worked to convince me that I am beautiful and should show it off. We spent two hours shopping: trying on jeans after jeans and pants after pants and all sorts of tops. Oh! But first they took me to get my eyebrows waxed! What an experience!

It is all quite an adjustment. I spent my whole life thinking that I was plain and ugly (except for my hair), and then they put me in jeans and slacks that I would never buy on my own to show off my butt, waist, hips... and tops to show of my bust and waist. In a way I felt naked. I have always covered up those things. Maybe I was hiding from myself.

I was extremely relieved, however, when one of my friends, who was a model as a teenager, strongly encouraged me NOT to cut my hair! My mom doesn't like the way I have been wearing it half up. Perhaps that's why she wants me to get it cut. But when my friend and I get together tomorrow for the make-up part, she's going to show me some other ways to wear it down, but out of my face. I'm glad, because I really don't want to cut if off.

I keep imagining Jo in the old black and white version of Little Women crying herself to sleep after cutting her beautiful long hair to earn the money to send their mother to their war injured father.
"Father will be alright, Jo. Don't worry," her sister consoles her.
"That's not it," Jo sobs back.
"What is it, then?"
"My hair!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home